Friday, October 22, 2010

Carolyn Keene Ghost Writers Should Be Ashamed!

Nancy Drew was my first literary girl crush. (Sorry, Stacey!)

So when I found a Nancy Drew graphic novel at Goodwill, I was a little excited. But cautious. Because, really, Nancy books started sucking it up as soon as ghostwriters took over!

(Actually, I have a post lined up about a book by a dude that turned down the opportunity to be a Nancy Drew ghost writer. More on that later.)

This. book. sucked.

The "mystery" is solved when Nancy realizes that her enormous zit is the key. That people aren't always what they seem. Like Nancy isn't a normal, acne-plagued teen. Or that the villain isn't really the wife he's been posing as.


Do you see what is wrong with this here graphic novel? I kindly underlined it with my fine point Sharpie.

Desert. George (who appears to be confirming my childhood suspicion that ze was facing some gender confusion) and Bess ate two deserts. Like the Gobi and Mojave.

I can excuse typos in public. Not everyone is proficient in the English language. Not everyone is proofreading every little thing.

But this is a BOOK. Where someone is PAID to check to the spelling and grammar.

This ads for other graphic novels was the best part of this book.


I'm not even Catholic, and I'm intrigued. Possible Christmas present for Boyfriend?

9 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was looking through your blog just a little, and I like it. I am somewhat new to blogging, but I started doing it for fun...

    I want to invite you to visit my blog, out of all the millions of bloggers out there, I reach out to interesting ones sometimes. Well I hope you will take me up on my offer and if you follow me, I will follow you...

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha theres a comic book about the POPE?! Also slightly intrigued actually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a professional proofreader, and I find typos in pretty much every book I read for pleasure. I know it's hard to catch them all, but they still drive me friggin' insane.

    p.s. The Pope comic sounds like a page-turner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always remember dessert has two S's by thinking of strawberry shortcake.I'm a nerd who needs that mnemonic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally for you giving the BF a gag gift like that! Do it. Hey, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is actually a whole series of biographical graphic novels about famous people. The JK Rowling one is my personal fave.

    I'm more concerned here about Nancy's offer to pop her friend's zit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GAMMABLIXT


    SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE

    There's much in the world that you can't explain.
    It's revealed for you to remember
    by the whispering voice of a distant train
    or a midnight rain in november.

    Horizon within! You can always find
    the keys to Enigma. Let's mention
    one basic Truth: of spirited Mind
    is Nature naught but extension.

    Internal expanses! In dreams, ridden
    by fear and longing you roam
    that deep Southeast in your soul hidden
    ...on your random journey back home.

    ---

    As a native Swede, I am particularly proud of my love poetry suite Sonnets for Katie.

    My Poems

    *

    La présence; un coup de vie morte? non, ce n'est qu'être. Et puis pour l'errante fenêtre: étant vue la nuit, dans tous le coins des rues de la veille la même étoile.

    *

    Poétudes

    *

    Schwarzez birne!
    Aufforderung zur Erotik.

    Fremde Gedichte

    *

    En el archipielágo del mundo
    los recursos son concentrados,

    algunos barcos azulos
    partieron para la isla más azula.

    Uno grito bajo la mesa
    vuelca uno cantaro;

    visitantes paran
    en preguntas silenciosas –

    el anacrusa de una tromba
    remolinea en la biblioteca.

    My Spanish Poetry

    *

    My Laptop Wallpaper Art

    CHALLENGE again. I say: generally, e=mc(n-1) for the n-dimensional room. I say this is close to self-evident.You think not? Then prove the contrary!

    Windor Mirrow


    And: reciprocity: for mutual benefit, you will do me a favor promoting your own blog on mine!

    The best way to do it is lining up as a Follower, since then your icon will advertise you indefinitely, and I will follow you in return. Let's forge a mighty alliance of synergy and common interest.

    Yours,

    - Peter Ingestad, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grammatical and spelling errors in publications are not acceptable! And did Nancy Drew's zit really help her solve the mystery? What?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh, that sucks. I would have been so excited at a Nancy Drew graphic novel - but I admit, there's nothing quite so exciting as a pope graphic novel. Now that'll be a merry christmas.

    ReplyDelete