Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Happy 40th birthday, Roe v. Wade!

Today is the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade. For forty years, women have had control over their bodies. Be pregnant, don't be pregnant. The power of choice is amazing. I am so grateful for the women who fought for this right.

Last year, my lovely friend Susan wrote an amazing piece about how she votes pro-choice because she is pro-life. Abortion is a controversial topic, and haters gonna hate. Susan's words have stuck with me, though:
If a person describes themselves as pro-life in good faith, they have no choice but to vote in favor of legal, safe abortions, comprehensive sex education, and easy access to contraception. Otherwise, they cannot consider themselves to be pro-life.
 So today, celebrate your right to choose. And remind your less enlightened acquaintances that their logic is seriously flawed 'cause safe and legal abortion is the only thing that saves lives.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ironically, the ad showing under your post says, "Obama won't defend the unborn. Will you?" :P

    I am on a similar stance as your friend. I'm pro-life...because that's MY choice, not the government's choice, and I wouldn't force that choice on anyone else. Thinking philosophically, once a moral choice becomes mandated, then it's no longer a choice or a moral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADVERTISEMENT TROLLS.
    They can mind their own business about my body but not my blog.

    ReplyDelete